Thank You, Dolly Parton
January 19, 1946 – August 25, 2026
Today, my heart is heavy as I say goodbye to a beautiful lady whose music has been a part of my life since I was a little girl.
Thank you, Dolly Parton.
I grew up as a Black child in rural Arkansas during a time when there were no Black radio stations where we lived. If we wanted to hear music on the radio, we listened to the country stations and waited patiently, hoping they might play a little Soul or R&B.
But something wonderful happened while I was waiting.
I fell in love with country music.
And I fell in love with the music of a beautiful young woman from the mountains of Tennessee named Dolly Parton.
Dolly's voice came through that little radio and reached places she could never have known. Her songs told stories about family, poverty, heartbreak, dreams, working people, strong women, and finding the courage to keep going.
She sang about a Coat of Many Colors and somehow reminded us that riches aren't always measured by money.
She sang about love so deeply that generations would carry her words in their hearts.
And through it all, Dolly remained unmistakably Dolly—rhinestones, big hair, laughter, faith, humor, generosity, and that beautiful Tennessee voice.
Music doesn't ask what color you are before it touches your heart.
What I didn't understand as a child was that music was teaching me something.
There I was, a little Black girl in rural Arkansas, listening to a country radio station because that was what we had—and Dolly Parton's music found me anyway.
Decades later, I still remember.
That is the power of music.
That is the power of a storyteller.
And that is the legacy of Dolly Parton.
She gave the world far more than songs. She gave children books. She gave people hope. She gave generously to people she would never meet. She made people laugh. And she showed generations of women that you could be feminine, funny, intelligent, ambitious, kind, successful, and completely yourself.
So today I don't simply want to say goodbye.
I want to say:
Thank You, Dolly.
Thank you for the songs.
Thank you for the stories.
Thank you for making a little girl in rural Arkansas fall in love with country music while she was waiting for the radio to play some Soul.
Thank you for all the laughter, kindness, sparkle, and love you scattered across this world.
Job well done, beautiful lady.
You worked a lifetime.
You gave a lifetime.
You loved a lifetime.
Now sleep peacefully and enjoy the rest you so richly deserve.
And somewhere, an old radio is still playing...
and another little girl is discovering your music for the very first time.
A Little Poem for Dolly
Rest Now, Dolly
Rest now, Dolly, lay your burdens down,
Trade the rhinestones for a heavenly crown.
The mountain girl who dared to dream
Became for millions a light that gleamed.
Your songs crossed mountains, roads, and years,
They carried laughter, love, and tears.
Across every boundary, near and far,
You taught us how to wish upon a star.
A little Black girl in Arkansas
Once heard your voice with childhood awe.
She waited for Soul on the radio dial,
But country music made her stay awhile.
And somewhere between the songs she'd known,
Your Tennessee voice became her own—
A memory carried through the years,
Through happiness, heartache, dreams, and tears.
So rest now, Dolly. Your work is done.
Your final earthly song has been sung.
But love like yours does not depart—
It simply finds another heart.
The mountains will remember.
The radio will remember.
And those of us who grew up with you
will always remember.
Rest Well, Dolly Parton.
Thank you for the music.
Thank you for the memories.
Thank you for being you.
With love from one little girl from rural Arkansas who grew up,
but never forgot the beautiful lady singing on the radio.
♥ ♪ ♥

No comments:
Post a Comment